The NGS is subject to the Ontario Environmental Assessment Act and requires an Environmental Assessment be undertaken in accordance with Regulation 116/01, including the Ministry of the Environment’s “Guide to Environmental Assessment Requirements for Electricity Projects.” The Environmental Screening/Review Process under the Guide has two possible stages – the Screening stage and the Environmental Review stage. TC Energy has chosen to undertake the comprehensive Environmental Review.
Throughout 2012 and 2013, TC Energy initiated field work and associated studies to form the basis of the Environmental Review Report (ERR). The ERR identifies any potential effects on the environment and surrounding communities. TC Energy studied air quality and noise, archaeological and heritage resources, human health, socio-economics, terrestrial and aquatic environment.
In October 2014, TC Energy received confirmation from the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change that the Environmental Review Report (ERR) was found complete; this was followed with the receipt of the required Environmental Compliance Approvals (ECA) in November 2014. In early December, TC Energy purchased the property from Ontario Power Generation. NGS is located adjacent to the existing Ontario Power Generation Lennox Generating Station site, in the southern portion of the Town of Greater Napanee.
Key findings from the ERR
The results of the studies undertaken for the project indicate that the NGS will not have significant net environmental effects, both during construction and operation.
- Study results indicate that the NGS will have little or no effect on the environment and surrounding community during construction and operation.
- Modelling results, including those related to air quality and human health are within or below allowable limits set by regulatory requirements.
- Water needs and evaporative losses are relatively small and will not significantly affect water resources, natural resources or climate.
The final NGS Environmental Review Report (ERR) was submitted to the Ministry of the Environment (MOE) on January 21, 2014, followed by 30-day public review period.
The ERR and its Supporting Documents are posted in the links below and at the following locations.
|Town Hall –
Town of Greater Napanee124 John StreetNapanee, ON K7R 3L4
|Lennox and Addington Public Library – Napanee Branch25 River RoadNapanee, ON K7R 3S6||Lennox and Addington Public Library –South Fredericksburgh Branch2478 County Road 8Napanee, ON K0H 1G0|
|TC Energy’s Napanee Generating Station Project Office113 Richmond Blvd. – Unit 4Napanee, ON K7R 3Z8||Administration Office – Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte13 Old York RoadTyendinaga Mohawk Territory, ON K0K 1X0||Land Code Coordinator’s Office – Alderville First Nation11696 2nd Line RoadAlderville, ON K0K 2X0|
Environmental Review Report
- Cover, Acronyms, Units of Measurement (PDF, 888 KB)
- Table of Contents (PDF, 158 KB)
- Chapter 1 – Project Overview (PDF, 2.12 MB)
- Chapter 2 – Description of the Existing Environment (PDF, 14.5 MB)
- Chapter 3 – Project Description (PDF, 5.95 MB)
- Chapter 4 – Assessment and Management of Environmental Effects (PDF, 5.11 MB)
- Chapter 5 – Commitment to Mitigation and Impact Management (PDF, 124 KB)
- Chapter 6 – Public and Agency Consultation (PDF, 467 KB)
- Chapter 7 – Environmental Advantages and Disadvantages (PDF, 104 KB)
- Chapter 8 – References (PDF, 120 KB)
- Appendix A – Draft Environmental Review Report Comments and Responses (PDF, 539 KB)
- Supporting Document 1 – NGS Air Quality Assessment (PDF, 4.58 MB)
- Supporting Document 2 – NGS Acoustic Assessment (PDF, 13.76 MB)
- Supporting Document 3 – NGS Aquatic Assessment (PDF, 34.76 MB)
- Supporting Document 4 – NGS Terrestrial Assessment (PDF, 5.76 MB)
- Supporting Document 5 – NGS Traffic Assessment (PDF, 15.96 MB)
- Supporting Document 6 – NGS Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessment (PDF, 3.97 MB)
- Supporting Document 7 – NGS Public and Agency Consultation (PDF, 36.39 MB)
- Supporting Document 8 – NGS Stage 1 and 2 Archaeological Assessment (PDF, 9.36 MB)